RECIPE: AUBERGINE & MINT DIP
This month’s exclusive Barrecore Box features our favourite seed butter makers Mighty Seeds! Lovingly made in small batches in London, Mighty Seeds create the most delicious all-natural flavoured seed butters that are a great alternative to traditional nut butters. This recipe was created by natural chef Ceri Jones of Natural Kitchen Adventures. Using Mighty Seed’s ‘Pumpkin & Sea Salt’ butter, Ceri has created an incredible Middle East inspired aubergine dip that’s fresh, full of flavour and would be ideal with vegetable crudités or for spreading onto grain-free paleo bread. Enjoy!
- 2 aubergines
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tbs Mighty Seeds Pumpkin Seed Butter
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 Tbs chopped mint
- 1/4 tsp salt, more to taste
- Sprinkle of sumac to serve
1. Pre-heat oven to 200°C
2. Prick the aubergine skin with a fork a few times, and place the whole aubergines on a wire rack above a baking tray (to catch drips), roast in the oven for 1 hour.
3. The aubergine is cooked with when the skin gives under the pressure of your hands. Allow to cool for 5 minutes, then slit open and scoop out the flesh. Place the flesh in a sieve for 10 minutes to allow any excess water from the aubergine to drain off. You can discard the skin.
4. Roughly chop the aubergine flesh and stir in the garlic till well incorporated, then the seed butter, olive oil, lemon juice, mint and salt. Taste and add extra salt if necessary – there is already salt in the seed butter)
5. Sprinkle with sumac and serve.
For more delicious and healthy recipes, be sure to visit Ceri’s inspirational blog here.
If you’d like to try a mini pot of Mighty Seed’s ‘Pumpkin Seed & Sea Salt’ butter, be sure to order your One-Off Barrecore Box here. Alternatively, you can stock up on Mighty Seed’s full range of seed butters including ‘Sunflower Seed & Honey’ and more via their website here.
Recipe & photo by Ceri Jones of Natural Kitchen Adventures